Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Happiness at the Hyatt

We chose the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach as our resort for our first California vacation, and we are certainly glad we did! In considering our host resort/hotel, we identified the following priorities for this vacation:  relaxation, proximity to leisure activities, safety, shuttle and moderately priced. We knew we did not want to stay at a bustling downtown hotel. We did not want to be surrounded by Disney-crazed families. (Don't read that wrong... I love Disney. That just wasn't our purpose this trip.)

I personally, NEEDED to recharge my battery and escape the Manitoba winter just for a bit.

Patio with curved fireplace wall.
The Hyatt Newport had everything we wanted. It is located in a park-like setting, including a 9 hole golf course. There are walking paths, pools, and seating areas galore. There is even an outdoor ampitheatre where they host a summer concert series.

My favourite outdoor area turned out to be the patio lounge. The furniture, outdoor fireplaces, food and ambience were the perfect setting to relax and recharge.

The Hyatt Newport is currently undergoing millions of dollars in renovations. At the time of our stay, they were approximately halfway to completion. There are still major projects to do, like the main pool which in the future will include a waterpark and waterslide for kids. They hope to be all finished up by May 2013.


My breakfast lox & bagel
The areas already completed include the lobby, half the guest rooms, lounge and library, and new restaurant SHOR. The food and service at SHOR are outstanding! We ate a few meals there and were thoroughly impressed. Prices were moderate and I absolutely consider it good value for the quality of menu items and service.

The renovations caused us very little, if any, inconvenience at all. We were given an upgraded hotel room, and in fact we were the first guests to stay in that room. The decor was modern and first class. We especially loved the balcony which had its own heating/air conditioning.

We used the complimentary local and airport shuttle. Its schedule was convenient to the mall and neighbouring Balboa Island. It worked great for us!

Renovated guest room
The hotel offers a variety of discounts including CAA/AAA and government rates. They also offer special family and spa packages. Watch for deals on this hotel with Expedia, Hotwire and also at their own Hyatt website.  At around $125 per night, I found it to be excellent value in California.

I absolutely need to make special note of the hospitality. The service at every turn was outstanding! Five star service from the front desk to the lounge, valet, security and waitstaff. There wasn't one staff member who wasn't happy to be there and look after you. I found this to be quite a refreshing change from the lousy "who cares" attitude that seems to be prevalent in North America right now.  The service simply was above and beyond expectations.  I have indeed forwarded my letter of thanks and appreciation to the hotel staff. They moved me that much that I took time to write and commend them. They earned it!

Existing guest pool. 1 of 3 on site.
This resort was everything we wanted in this vacation. The research I did ahead of time paid off and we had an absolutely fantastic time. I would recommend the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach if you are looking for a relaxing, upscale experience in a casual California setting. It would be PERFECT for a girls' trip as the resort has a spa, is very close to amazing shopping (Fashion Island and also main street Balboa Island), is safe, friendly and has fantastic food. I would also suggest it would make a great couples weekend.

I don't usually set down roots when I travel, but I think I could be a regular here. The Hyatt Regency Newport Beach impressed me that much. I'd go back in a heartbeat.


No comments:

Post a Comment