Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Flight to California

I chose to fly into John Wayne International Airport (SNA) rather than Los Angeles International (LAX) because it's smaller. Yep, my decision was that simple. As a small town gal, the big airport intimidates me.

Yes, indeed I have been through LAX before, (on my way to Maui) and I probably could do it, but why when there is a perfectly good, very convenient airport 30 minutes away in Orange County.

Actor, John Wayne, or The Duke as he was affectionately called was a long time Newport Beach area resident and is indeed buried there. He used to party with the Hollywood royalty and host them on his yacht and in his Newport home. John Wayne has a rich history with the area and they named this beautiful, modern airport in his honour.

On a practical note, it was very easy to navigate. Taxis and shuttles were mere steps outside the building. There were many area hotels offering free shuttles, so that was a bonus too. It is located about 20 minutes (or a $30 taxi ride) from Anaheim and the popular Disney attractions. It is about 10 minutes south to Newport Beach and the ocean areas.

Upon our departure, security lines took maybe 15 minutes from start to finish. There were a few airport shops, at least one full service restaurant near our departure gate and a Starbucks. All the typical conveniences were there. SNA hosts several airlines including Westjet, Delta, United and Alaska. I'm sure there were more, but I didn't pay particular attention.

The cost of flying into SNA was the same or slightly less than LAX. The convenience and ease made it a 5 star decision for me. I would do it again anytime.


No comments:

Post a Comment