Tuesday, September 8, 2015

What's a bargain?





I have a few basic guidelines for my travel purchases.

I am really focused on receiving great value without comprimsing safety, or quality.

I like a 4 star hotel at a 2 star price. If it means staying at that hotel on a Sunday instead of a Friday, to get the bargain, I will stay on a Sunday. That's the kind of compromise I'm willing to make.

I am NOT willing to stay at a poorly rated, rat hole of a hotel in Hawaii, just to be in Hawaii. Sometimes it means travelling in the off season, or less popular times, but that is worth it to me to get the experience I want at the budget I can afford.

To repeat... It's not about being cheap. I will save or change or forgo completely if the trip is not within budget. But if I'm going to spend my hard earned money, I want to be sure that it is WORTH IT.  A $800 flight to Florida would never be 'worth it' to me.


Flights Only:

Very briefly, I consider the following to be my 'good deal' prices: (From YWG airport)
Non-stop flight, where possible, return and includes taxes

1) Domestic flight (within Canada - BC to Ontario)                      $400


2) Domestic flight (within Canada - Maritime Provinces)             $550

3) Popular route USA (like Vegas, Phoenix, LA, Orlando, NY, Dallas, Chicago, Denver)       $500

4) Less popular USA, Alaska & Hawaii (routes with connections)           $600

5) Caribbean, Mexico & Costa Rica         $600

6) International, Including Europe, Scandinavia & Asia       $700

7) Australia        $900


Hotels: 

I consider most 4 star hotels a good price at $150 plus taxes
I consider most 5 star hotels a good price at $220 plus taxes

I consider most 4 star Vegas hotels a good price at $90 plus taxes/resort fees
I consider the 5 star Vegas hotels a good price at $129 plus taxes/resort fees


Packages: 

4 star, 7 night packages $1250 taxes included

5 star, 7 night packages $2400 taxes included

I expect to pay about 50% more for everything at Christmas and Spring Break time. Therefore, a good price for a flight in Canada at Christmas would be $600. I would consider that a decent Christmas bargain.

I won't call something  bargain, or draw attention to it, unless it fits my criteria of a bargain, or is exceptional in some other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment