Sunday, September 6, 2015

Fast 5 Travel Tips: Your kid belongs in the club seats

There was a time that I chose my season tickets to our local WHL hockey team with only one thing in mind....the distance to the men's washroom.  So it should come as no surprise that I'm selective about where I sit with my kids in any arena or stadium.

If you're the mom or dad of young boys, I know I don't need to explain. For those non-parents of boys, I'll simply explain by saying, there is no such thing as advance warning. It's an emergency pretty much every single time.

Now, to get back to the topic at hand. Why on earth would anyone spend extra dough to have an 8 year old sit in one of the most expensive seats in the stadium/rink?

1) You minimize the disruption to other fans. There are more aisle seats, is more leg room, better sight lines and usually waitress service at the seats. No need to jump up and 'excuse me' every time your child wants popcorn, a coke, or a pretzel. You might actually see more of the game!





2) Security. There is no access to club level without a ticket. And with ushers at every entrance and less than 20% of total audience on club level, the risk of your child wandering off or getting lost in a huge crowd is minimized.



3) Washroom access. This alone is worth the extra $20. Club level has more washrooms, and they are better washrooms. And for me, the mom of a boy, I know that the longer he is out of my sight and waiting in a line, the more I stress.  And vice versa. He is more likely to panic if he is alone, waiting outside the ladies' room for more than 3 minutes. This really isn't a huge issue if you are travelling as a family, or with a same-sex child, BUT it is absolutely a HUGE issue when you are taking a youngster who is too old or is resistant to a family washroom. And no boy wants to be traumatized by his mother racing him into the ladies' room begging to cut in line because it's an 'emergency.'

4) Autographs and opportunities. At the recent Denver Broncos game that we attended, there were alumni players and current cheerleaders shaking hands and offering autographs.  There is always something extra taking place on the club level. You also have a very relaxed and comfortable area, with lots of seating where you can wait out a rain delay, or watch the other league games on TV. In Denver, my son wanted to sit by the fireplace and eat an ice cream sundae during half time. Not only was it possible, it's probably one of the things etched in his memory from the event.






5) Better food. At both the Arizona Cardinals and the Denver Broncos stadiums, I had a carved roast beef sandwich. Actual attendant, actually carving, actual roast beef. Not a hot dog off a roller! The roast beef sandwich and chips in Denver cost $10.  There was also a chef's corner with a menu inspired by the day's visiting team. $14 a plate. For dessert there were gourmet cupcakes for sale. I bought a mini-pack for $6. How could you not?





Before you condemn me for spoiling my son, know that he has had, and will have many more opportunities to sit on freezing metal benches, eating taco-in-a-bag from the canteen, in a community rink watching his brother play hockey, than anything else. But on the very rare occasion we get to see a professional league game, I want it to be a memorable and positive experience for both of us. The cost of 'A seat' versus the cost of 'a CLUB seat' is less than you think. I rationalize it by skipping the souvenir booth and taking photos instead.


  • At Coors Field, we paid $40 per club ticket, rather than $29 for a regular first baseline ticket. 
  • In Anaheim at the Ducks game, we paid $75 per club ticket, rather than $180 for rink side seats or $39 nosebleed seats. 
  • In Denver (pre-season) we paid $100 for club seats, rather than $300 for sideline seats, or $69 for balcony level seats. 


Stubhub.com offers tickets to any game, and can offer savings over Ticketmaster. It all depends on how popular the game is, and when you buy the tickets. The price of the ticket is only one factor in your total event cost. When you look at the big picture and consider concessions, parking, travel, souvenirs and convenience, you might see things my way. And if, over a lifetime, you only get the chance to attend maybe 6 professional events with your child, isn't it truly a good time to splurge and really make the most of your time together?

C'mon kids... we're sitting in the club seats tonight!


2 comments:

  1. Cathie, I'm a big baseball fan too! This is one of your best posts...love it.

    Carolynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoy taking my kids to big games. I should share more of our adventures.

      Delete