Tuesday, September 15, 2015

That cake.



When I am planning a trip I love to read and learn about my future destination. I'll search and read Trip Advisor and when I start to read the same thing over and over I start to believe it.

Like this time I read about coconut cake at Waikiki Beach. This cake reference and these cake pictures kept popping up. It wasn't long before "find that coconut cake" was short-listed on my must-do list at Waikiki Beach.

Truth be told, that when travel plans shortened our trip, I scratched "hike Diamond Head" off the list and kept "find coconut cake."  (Feel like you know me a bit better now? Hahaha.)

So... this cake. It is from Halekulani Resort. It's a stunning, exclusive, 5 star kind of place. But if you're not wearing sandy flip flops and you mind your manners, you can get the cake... to go. Which is what I did.

I seem to remember the slice of cake being about $15 and thinking, "this better be good cake."

It came in its own clear display box, with a fresh orchid as garnish, and was handed to me in a signature Halekulani cloth shopping bag.  So, that was impressive.

When I got back to my hotel room, I first took pictures of the cake. (Isn't that what all bloggers do when they get their food and it looks amazing?)

I was almost nervous to take a bite.




Sure enough..... AMAZING. The best way to describe it would be to say I think this is what
I think clouds taste like. Heavenly clouds!

The cake is so light, and nearly flavourless, but in a good way. You reach for another bite just to let your tastebuds at it again. There is a gentle, fresh coconut flavour that starts to emerge, but overall you just taste 'cloud.' It's pretty freaking amazing.

They are kind enough to publish the signature recipe on-line. Someday I will tackle this recipe in hopes I can come close to recreating it.

The cake is so popular, Google has it right atop their links when you start typing "coconut cake H..."

Have you ever gone out of your way to track down a meal, or a particular treat that you'd read about or seen on Food Network?
Do post your finds in the comments. I'd love to hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment