Monday, September 7, 2015

Denver: Hotwire hotel jackpot!

Our favourite perk, the rooftop pool!


The trip was too fast to get hung up on details and I was plum out of loyalty credits. So, I used Hotwire.com to book my hotel for this Denver getaway.

I needed location and security because I was travelling with my young son. I knew exactly where I needed to be to get to Coors Field and Mile High Stadium conveniently, since I had been to Denver before. Being familiar with the city and specifically downtown was a real asset in this situation.

I picked the best rated hotel within my budget and booked. (With Hotwire, you 'blind buy'... meaning you don't learn which hotel until after you have booked and paid.)

My 4.5 star hotel booking was confirmed as the Westin Downtown. Jackpot!! I knew this hotel had the perfect location and was a brand I respected and valued. I was thrilled even before I arrived.

When I checked in, the front desk clerk made me feel very welcome. He even extended us the generous courtesy of a complimentary breakfast at the hotel.

The hotel met our every need. It even had a Starbuck's kiosk in the lobby, and one on the street corner on either side.

The breakfast was excellent and the service was even better. The breakfast servers were sweeter than pumpkin pie and so attentive to my son. Not all 4 star hotels are so welcoming of kids. Their hospitality, once again, made me feel like a valued guest.



The rooftop pool was my favourite perk. We had a great view, a cooling swim and a real chance to relax and just chill, in the heart of the city. Perfect for this mom and son bonding sports trip.

Just 10 steps outside the south side of the hotel was a FREE games area run by a downtown enrichment organization. We played mini golf, ping pong and foosball. Did I mention it was FREE? Such a great little fun zone and probably the first thing my son would mention if you asked him about the trip.

I feel like I hit the jackpot. I got the perfect hotel, and on budget, for my two day sports getaway. Thank you Hotwire!


FREE 9 hole mini golf in the city centre


A panoramic view of the city from the rooftop pool on the Westin's 4th floor.

The previous trip to Denver, we had booked a 4 star, downtown boutique hotel and were treated to The Magnolia. It also absolutely met our needs. In that case, it was an adult trip, and the hotel was indeed more suited to adult travellers. The hotel hosted a happy hour with complimentary wine and beer. The rooms were smaller and it did not have a pool area. However, I can definitely recommend The Magnolia as well when in Denver.


No comments:

Post a Comment