Saturday, March 1, 2014

Why Bermuda?

I titled this blog "Escape from the 204" because every now and then, I get this incredible and spontaneous urge to travel...to escape!  Last week was the golden example of this. The weather forecast for the week ahead looked unbearable.  It was returning to those horrible frigid Arctic temperatures that make us all question why we live in Manitoba.  And that's when I kind of snapped. I didn't want to stick around to see parka weather again, I wanted to walk on the SAND and I wanted to do it as soon as possible!

So, I looked at my travel reward balances and I had enough for a domestic bargain trip. I just had to find one. Finding the trip to save my sanity was actually very easy. A few clicks on the on-line rewards sites (like Aeroplan and Air Miles) revealed my potential last minute destinations.

My options were:  Fort Myers, Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Sarasota in Florida. I could also choose Belize or Bermuda for the same amount of points.

While I did take a minute to consider the Florida destinations, Bermuda was easily the most appealing choice. After consulting various travel sites and the official tourism site of Bermuda, I realized how little I knew about this mysterious island in the Atlantic Ocean and just how badly I wanted to go.

Bermuda is often lumped into the collection of islands known as the Caribbean, but it's really not part of the Caribbean. In fact, it's most accurately described as mid-Atlantic. The weather is temperate, but not hot year round, like the Caribbean.  In February and March you can expect temperatures from about 18C to 25C. That's very comfortable, and indeed about 40 degrees warmer than any February day in Manitoba.

I booked my trip, chose a hotel (The Fairmont Southampton) and instantly my mood lightened. I was starting to feel better already. The anticipation of a trip always gets my blood flowing. Within a day I'd immersed myself in reading and planning for my three nights/4 days in Bermuda.

I vowed to make the most of the trip with early mornings and days filled with exploring and I did just that! I learned so many things about the island and I can't wait to share them with you through this blog! I took over 300 photos and talked to locals and other tourists every chance I got.

Stick with the series and I will tell you why Bermuda is very "Canadian" and also why I think Bermuda is the perfect destination for solo travellers, and also retirees. I'll also let you in on a few budget saving tips that just might bring Bermuda into your price range and onto your "must see" list too.

Bermuda was exactly the escape I needed! I feel re-charged, refreshed ready to contribute again to my family and community with new energy and ideas. It's a good feeling. And that's why I travel.


No comments:

Post a Comment