Sunday, March 2, 2014

Bermuda: The Gosling's Story


I really like this photo. Let me set the scene. It's the last photo I took in Bermuda and it was at the airport.

Once you check in, there is an indoor/outdoor cafe that you can enjoy before you go through security and are on your way home. It was raining outside, but it wasn't a big deal. I chose to sit on the patio and just take in the warm humid air and listen to the sound of rain. A couple just down from where I was sitting were enjoying a  Heineken and toasting the end of their vacation.  Though alone, I thought this was a good idea.

I really didn't want another fruity "girl drink" or an island-type punch, but I DID want something that was regional. So I ordered a Gosling's Black Seal® (rum) on ice.

In the background you see the peach coloured building that is the L.F. Wade International Airport terminal building. The condensation on the glass shows the weather and the way the warmth of Bermuda was so appealing to me. The fresh print of lip gloss on the glass represents my first sip of this dark and spirited drink.

Gosling's rum is the only spirit that is still blended and bottled in Bermuda and is the largest Bermuda-made export.  The history and stature of the product were unbeknownst to me as I sat enjoying the last minutes of my vacation. But as I was very taken with this photo, I "googled" Gosling's after returning home. Isn't that what we all do these days? That's when I got the full picture and the rest of the 1000 words to my story.

If you're interested in the history, it's a short but worthwhile read. If you're interested in a genuine taste of Bermuda, you should pick up a bottle.  The family still operates a store on Front Street in Hamilton (Bermuda). They've been at that location 127 years now. And while you can pick up a bottle of Gosling's rum in most liquor retailers at home, you might just want to book a trip to Bermuda... just to get the whole whole experience right.


No comments:

Post a Comment