Saturday, March 1, 2014

Bermuda: What did I pack?

I always pack light. I don't want to be burdened with the trappings of home, quite literally, when I travel.

It's also more economical not to check a bag with the airline as most now charge at least $25 per bag. Secondly, I want to be free to switch flights or accept a "bump" from a flight if the chance presents itself; checking a bag only complicates that process. Not to mention I breeze through Customs and am out of the airport and onto "vacation" while most other travellers are still stuck at the baggage claim by NOT checking a bag. Oh, there are so many reasons to pack light!

So, when I pack for a trip, I check the forecast first. Knowing that Bermuda would have a mix of sun, cloud and a good chance of rain, I packed the "usual" plus a raincoat. Knowing that it would be about 20-23C and somewhat tropical/humid I focused on clothes I could layer and also dry on a hanger if they got wet. I also picked bright colours that are versatile, and go together. I choose bright colours because I'm on vacation and should look happy/cheerful. Plus bright colours are way better than black or navy in photos.  So, in addition to socks and underwear, I packed: (for 3 nights/4days)

A glimpse of my favourite travel scarf/wrap


1 - bathing suit
1 - pool cover-up
1 - long sleeve shirt
1 - linen beach pants
1 - dressy poncho/sweater
1 - Bermuda shorts
2 - T-shirts
2 - tank tops
1 - nightshirt
1 - skirt
1- sandals
1- canvas shoes
1 - raincoat

On the plane, I almost always wear sneakers, yoga pants, a t-shirt, a zip up fleece and a scarf/wrap. (A versatile scarf is the BEST travel accessory. It can serve as an in-flight blanket, a beach cover-up, or it can glam up a plain outfit.)  In the suitcase, I roll most of my clothes and place all small items (bathing suit, socks, tank tops etc) in a large Ziploc bag. Shoes are also packed in a plastic bag so as not to spread dirt/sand in the suitcase.

Hairbrush, toothbrush, straightener and hair clips go in the suitcase, but most of my makeup goes in the government Ziploc bag for liquids. I keep that pouch in my purse so it's easy for security screening. Makeup items, like mascara and lip gloss ARE considered liquids for screening purposes.

Closet which included spare blankets and a small safe. 
I don't generally buy souvenirs and when I do, I certainly don't buy anything large or bulky that I can't pack in my carry-on suitcase. This ensures that I think critically before I waste money on things I don't need. My favourite souvenirs are the photos and memories.

On the Bermuda trip, I was very pleasantly surprised by the walk-in closet in my room at the Fairmont Southampton. It was absolutely fantastic! This was one of the best stocked rooms I've ever been in. From the coffeemaker and sparkling water, to the body lotion and cotton balls, this hotel had all the guest conveniences you could ask for. When a hotel is well stocked, it makes it even easier to pack smartly and travel lightly.

Well equipped armoire. 


No comments:

Post a Comment