Monday, March 10, 2014

Fast 5 Travel Tips: Going Solo




I recently completed, and thoroughly enjoyed, my first solo vacation to another country. I certainly picked a great destination for this first foray into the unknown. Bermuda was ideal in that it is very much a British colony, with first world living conditions, is safe and maintains laws and standards very similar to Canada.

Five things I learnt going solo: 

1. I did more research. Before I ever left Canada, I felt like I KNEW Bermuda and what to expect, thanks to the hours of research on Trip Advisor and similar sights.

2. I was more aware of my surroundings. In doing this, I also feel I saw more and experienced more of the little things that otherwise might go unnoticed.

3. I was more open to having conversations with staff and strangers. Whether it was at the pool, or walking along the beach, or sitting in the airport, people felt more inclined to say hello or engage in small talk. This is fairly logical in that when you are travelling with your own family or friends you are your own little "clique" and are more likely to stay within your group. People who spoke up and introduced themselves were other women. This was really refreshing. I had many interesting conversations and also learnt from their experiences in Bermuda.

4. Being alone, I could choose what, when and where I ate. There were no negotiations, no compromising. No surveying the group to see who wanted Chinese and who wanted tacos etc etc.

5. I took more pictures of the scenery than anything. It was hard to take a "selfie" that I liked. Setting the camera up on a ledge and using the timer was also a poor way to take a photo.

Would I travel by myself again? Absolutely. Bermuda was a great place to sit on the beach and just observe the ocean. It was therapeutic and everything I wanted from this trip.




No comments:

Post a Comment