Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Air Canada: 1 Day Fail

Air Canada advertised and flaunted an exciting one day sale, to take place February 20th.

Then Feb 20th came and their grand surprise was: a $25 gift card to Hudson Bay Company. Pardon?

I thought they were kidding. I thought this was some sort of teaser? Nope. That was it. $25 to an aging, shrinking retailer.  GRRRRRRR. I wasted my time and yours "reporting" on an upcoming sale.

You'd get better swag from listening to a 20 minute time share presentation in Idaho.

Hudson Bay. Hudson Bay?  Once was a Canadian icon...once had stores in communities across the country. Now, its Zellers brand has disappeared. This "special" reeks of something popular in the 70s. It might have worked then. But now?? No.

Dear Air Canada: There's this thing called the Internet. Travel is a multi, multi BILLION dollar industry. Do not cry wolf again. The 2012 Olympic specials you ran were disappointing at best. This is worse. For a minute I had to check my calendar....nope, it's not April 1st.

----
Ok, that all sounds uncharacteristically bitter of me. But when other suppliers regularly offer hundreds of dollars in savings.... For example, a quick check of today's Expedia.ca packages nets a 4 day stay in a 4 star hotel in downtown Vancouver for Under $700 with return Westjet airfare included.  (Infact, flight and hotel included for 4 nights was as low as $493 for a budget hotel.) The dates shown here are March 19-23rd. It's even a direct flight from Winnipeg, to Vancouver on departure. (The return flight has a connection.)

I even found the hotel at the Lonsdale Quay Market for $576. In my opinion, that's like paying regular price for the flight and getting the hotel for free.

This is the amazing market that I visited in November. I can only imagine how great the market would be in the spring sunshine. It's very much like the Forks. It's near a harbour, great downtown shopping and nightlife.  I think this would be a superb getaway.

Anyways, packages like this can be found regularly at expedia.ca . Just scroll down to the bottom right corner and look for package deals.

Thank you expedia and westjet, for saving the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment