Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Choosing the right vacation

I've always said that any destination can be great... as long as it fits your needs. And in order to do that, you must be truly honest with yourself regarding expectations, the setting, your travel companions and your budget.

If you want to sit on the beach and read, and your travel buddies want to hike and go sight seeing and to concerts, regardless of destination, you will be wildly challenged to make everyone happy.

Budget:  If you have 5 star dreams, and 2 star cash, you will have your work cut out for you to find a satisfying trip. But it can be done! I live for the 5 star bargain on the 2 star budget.

For this year's summer vacation we have about a 12 day window without commitments. That's pretty hard to find a bargain without flexibility on dates, however, it can be done.

The kids want activities. They want water slides, amusement parks and golfing. I want rest, relaxation and a little fine dining. (Ok, it doesn't have to be fine dining. I just don't want to cook at all. I want a break from my restaurant life.) Harry just wants to sit, read and enjoy his summer vacation.

Based on our budget, and the airline travel points in my account, I narrowed it down to about 5 destinations. Then I started analyzing the prices for flights and various airports. I then considered hotel costs, entertainment and on-site transportation. Ultimately I had about 8 pages of scribbling. Airport codes, airline codes, hotel offers and more. Really, you'd have to be me in order to read it. Or, maybe a doctor's secretary! LOL

I read trip advisor reviews, looked at real photos of the destination and subscribed to area tweets. I talked to friends for their personal experiences and read travel blogs too. Then I presented my family with 3 options within our budget. A) Disneyland B) Fort Myers, Florida and C) The Bahamas.

Each is a repeat destination. We've been there before. We know these locations make us happy and we feel safe. Whatever the kids choose, or whichever flight price hits the mark, we'll be happy.

And knowing that I have evaluated every single acceptable option. And knowing that I have analyzed the bargain possibilities "six ways from Sunday" I'm happy. Whatever we choose... will be great! The 40 hours of research means that I will get a trip that will suit our needs and at a price I can live with. No regrets or second guessing what deal I've missed. I've done my homework. Now it's just time to sit back and let the kids pick our next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment