Sunday, October 11, 2015

Walking tour, Los Angeles

You simply see things differently when you're out walking and exploring on your own.  There is no taxi, bus tour or Frommer's Guide that can show you the city the way that an open mind and a pair of sneakers can.

I recently embarked on a street tour of Downtown Los Angeles. Some things were pretty, somethings were not. But everything contributed to the character of the area and gave me a really interesting perspective as a Canadian traveller.

I'm going to let the photos speak for themselves. The architecture, both of past and present, was incredible. And to see so many buildings being restored was encouraging. The preservation of history is important and for me, was heart-warming.

In total, according to my fitness tracker, I covered nearly 14kms on foot in 2 days. Though I also did accidentally (and later on purpose... to see the Ghostbuster's firehall) wander into the ghetto I did not stop to take photos. There is overt poverty, homelessness and even tent-villages in plain view, but I feel there is no purpose in objectifying the street people who struggle. It would only serve to disrespect human life to portray them here in a tourist blog.  So I won't.

Los Angeles, and Downtown LA specifically, is not all Hollywood glamour and riches, but you can certainly say that about any city.

Photos taken on an iphone, October 2015.






Back lane movie filming





Court House



Firehall from the 80s movie Ghostbusters




Opulent street entrance leading from the sidewalk



Through the window of a downtown office building. Marble everywhere!










No comments:

Post a Comment