Monday, August 17, 2015

Why I said yes to this souvenir

Normally, I skip the souvenirs. 'Collect memories, not things', I say.  But this last time, in Jamaica, I said yes and whipped open my wallet.

My son CJ is 9 years old. We were heading up to our hotel room to call it a night, in this fancy all-inclusive resort in Jamaica when he stopped me at the door. We were just past the local crafters who were packing up their wares and getting ready to head home.

CJ squeezed my hand and pulled me to a halt. "Buy something!" he whispered.

I whispered back. "I don't need anything."

He insisted, "Mom, buy something."

I leaned in and asked him, "why, honey? Is there something you want?'

"Mom, that (elderly) man has been sitting in the hot sun all day and I don't think ANYBODY has bought ANYTHING from him. Mom, can you PLEASE give him something."

Enough said.

The man asked $7 for the puppy carving. I gave him $10. He said, 'bless you." I choked back tears. I already know I'm blessed. And in that moment, I knew that I must be doing something right with my kids. Such good kids. And now we have this little carved puppy to remind me.




No comments:

Post a Comment