Sunday, January 5, 2014

Creatures of the Caymans

There are days when the trip budget goes out the window and other days when frugal fun is all you'll get. Our port tour in the Grand Caymans was just that... a frugal fun day. 

We spent the day on the famed Seven Mile Beach and rather than paying for a tour to Stingray City or swimming with dolphins, we took our chances and I created our own little game called "Counting Creatures of the Caymans." 

We were still on the dock when he spied these fish!
My no-budget game was simply a challenge to my son to spy marine and wildlife while we were on the beach. He saw much more than I anticipated and he had an absolutely great time! Actually, we both did! Did I mention it was free? 

I was in charge of the camera and tried my best to photograph everything he saw. I used an Olympus Stylus Tough camera. It's been on more than a dozen adventures with us. It's a good little underwater camera and perfect for kids. "Tough" means it will survive (and has) a few falls and mishaps. 

I haven't edited or enhanced any of these photos. 

Water so clear you could see everything! 

You'll have to look closely for these fish. (underwater pic)

Schools of yellow "Nemos" as he called them. (Underwater)
Sea urchin. Glad we didn't step on it! (Underwater)


My "C" monkey (Underwater) 





Chicks and a rooster right on the beach!
As far as I could tell no one was feeding them.
They were just scavenging for fallen fruit off the trees. 
Imagine my surprise when he yelled, "chickens!"

No comments:

Post a Comment