Monday, April 22, 2013

Why Escape?

Sometimes this blog title "Escape the 204" sounds a little harsh. Why escape? Well, if you've been through a Manitoba winter, you'll understand "escape." This winter, was like no other. We had below seasonal temperatures for 4 consecutive months. Ugh.

If that isn't enough to want to escape, let me tell you about one of our most luxurious and famous, rural Manitoba resorts.

I needed a little getaway. I just needed a hot tub and a hot meal and a moment of peace away from work. So I went north an hour and checked into a resort that shall remain nameless.

The facilities, though a little dated, are well kept. The prices are reasonable, but by no means a bargain. Objectively I'd give it about a 3 star rating. Until, I needed something.

While unpacking I knocked my toothbrush out of my makeup bag and it hit the floor. The floor was kind of dirty so I decided to toddle down to the front desk and ask for a spare toothbrush. Every resort on this earth that I've experienced has a little drawer of emergency toiletries for guests. This is NOT a big deal. (Heck, a Super 8 will give you a toothbrush!) However, I was told that they didn't give out toothbrushes here and I would have to go downstairs to the basement laundry room and find the vending machine. It was kind of an eerie trek down the abandoned hallway to the laundry room but I found it. But, there were no toothbrushes. Sure, I could have bought some Scope, or a nail file or a box of bandaids, but no toothbrushes. The machine looked from the 90s and that was probably the last time it was stocked too.

Plan B.... "brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack." Or isn't that what pop artist Kesha would suggest? Nevermind.

So, now I decide to hit the hot tub. I have 2 choices.... use the public pool area which is set in a separate barn-like building and reeks of a fun chemical combination, or pay a fee and use the spa pool.

I choose the spa pool. So I arrive nicely dressed in my Lulus, 95 minutes before the posted closing time. The desk clerk greets me with a speech, "Seriously, the only person all day and you come at the last minute. You know I'm still charging you full price, right?"  Of course you are, I thought.

$28. Nope, I'm not kidding. $28 to sit in an adult hot tub, and sunroom all by myself.  Not once did she check to see if I was drowning. Anyways, the $28 and the lecture was almost worth it. My shoulder felt significantly better after the hot tub. It was also very peaceful, even if I did feel rushed and obligated to pretty much fold my own towels.  I gracefully departed 15 minutes prior to the scheduled closing time, polite Canadian that I am.

I had dinner in the restaurant/lounge area. The food was spectacular and the service was excellent. It was definitely the saving grace for this resort. Oh, and I did get to watch my hockey game on the big screen and my team won, so that was good.

Ultimately, the resort and it's corner-cutting, and lack of guest relations skills left me shaking my head. Next time I want a real resort. The Manitoba version completely lacks by world travel standards.

The last time I was in California, I asked the valet where I could find a vending machine to grab a coke. He INSISTED he grab one for me from the nearby resort restaurant, no charge. But it's not about "freebies" it's about making you feel welcome. That's what a want in a resort.

Next time I need some R & R, it won't be at home, that's for sure! I'll have to escape the 204 once again.


No comments:

Post a Comment