Monday, December 29, 2014

Fast Five Travel Notes: Destinations of 2014


2014 was a good travel year. I took many photos and left nothing but footprints. I enjoyed new foods, new beaches and made new friends.

Over the next few posts I'll detail these adventures in quick little "fast five" blog bites.

I might be feeling reflective, but I don't have a lot of reserve energy after the "un-holiday" that is Christmastime.


Five new destinations I visited in 2014.

1. Bermuda - this was in February. I wrote a lot about Bermuda and would definitely recommend it for a new or nervous traveller, those who want beaches but not scorching sunshine, or those who are celebrating retirement.


2. Devil's Lake, North Dakota. I stayed at the Holiday Inn, bought travel snacks at the new Wal-Mart and used their airport to fly United Airlines. Yes! You can connect to the whole world via DVL and United Airlines. Their twice a day service started in July 2014 and is growing strong. No lines and free parking make this one of North Dakota's best kept secrets.  Did you know you can pick up a round trip to Denver, Colorado for about $270 US? Now you know!




3. Denver, Colorado I had the privilege of experiencing this city with a new friend who already loved and had visited Denver. This gave me the chance to sit back and let someone else lead for once. I greatly benefitted from her knowledge and love of the city. Together we went to cafes, The Union Train Station  stumbled into some weird zombie walk/parade, and cheered as the Denver Broncos beat the 49ers and Peyton Manning threw his record breaking 509th touchdown pass.  What a weekend!





4. Quebec City, Quebec  My son and I took the train to Quebec City and saw this city for the first time together. It was fabulous! I would highly recommend it and can't wait to do it again. I wrote a great deal about it, back in August.



5. Honolulu, Hawaii  This trip wasn't as smooth as most. There were some logistical issues but once we arrived, Honolulu was heavenly. Great reviews (which I still have to write) were largely due to the amazing Sheraton Hotel on Waikiki Beach, and the great travel buddy along for the adventure. I hardly got the chance to see the island, so I think there will be a do-over at some point in my future. But, for 2014 it DOES count, as I did experience Honolulu for the first time.





No comments:

Post a Comment