Monday, August 4, 2014

Our Amazing Adventure: Part 12 The Summary

My son and I raced from Manitoba to Quebec and back in four days just to challenge ourselves and have some fun.

I modelled this spontaneous trip after the Amazing Race TV show on CTV. We took planes, trains and automobile during this adventure. I helped my son discover parts of this great country he had never seen before. And in helping him experience things for the first time I, myself, saw Canada again with fresh eyes.

I also saw a different side of my own son. I have known him to be level headed, compassionate and eager to learn, but this time, I got to see those qualities in action in a new environment. Like the moment when he quietly asked me for change to give to a street person. He debated that action in his head and decided it was the right thing to do.  And then he did it.

My son capably guided us as we walked touring Old Quebec City. He patiently tried to speak and understand French in an everyday setting. And rather than wolfing down his food, for once he lingered and enjoyed the time that was our patio dinner on Rue Saint Jean.  These actions reflected qualities I knew he had in him but are sometimes hard to see in our daily lives rushing to school and hockey rinks.

We talked and we laughed. We had a great time! We took some fantastic photos and most of all, had shared experiences which will become shared memories. That is, of course, the part that will forever be "amazing" to me.






-------------

I've done a trip recap highlighting the cities and adventures along the way. If you'd like to read them in sequence, here's the list.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment