Thursday, February 20, 2014

Bank on Bermuda

Let's just admit that this prairie winter has worn out its welcome. If I wake up one more morning to the sound of snow plows and reports of another storm on the way, I'm making a dash to the airport. Wouldn't you? And wouldn't you just truly love to jet away for a few days and leave it all behind?

I know I would. This got me to thinking, and dreaming and clicking. I present to you, three locations and three different prices, all on the same dates and same airline.

I chose Ottawa (YOW) because of Canada's stellar day at the Olympics. Where else would you go when you are bursting with patriotism and love for our country? The nation's capital, of course! The return Westjet flight would cost $662.31 taxes in. This isn't a terrible price, for a last minute domestic flight.


Next, I selected a destination in sunny California.  I chose Palm Springs. $886.87 was the price. That seems excessive, since the site is featuring California as its front page promotion. But, again, it is a last minute price.



Then a litte ad in the corner caught my eye. "Save 15% off travel to Bermuda" it said. And since Bermuda has long been on my wish list, I used it for my third comparable.  And guess what I found? An incredible bargain! A last minute flight for $410.69! That's less than half the price of Palm Springs, and coincidentally, in a similar climate category of about 65-75F this time of year.  They also both boast a number of fantastic golf courses. 

The Bermuda Tourism site is quick to capture your attention with photos of pink sand beaches, rich culture, island cuisine and the promise of a relaxing vacation. I probably spent 2 hours on the site, and gazing at pictures on the net.  If I were on a plane, I'd already be half way to Bermuda by now!

This being their winter season, a number of hotel deals were offered, including 3rd night free promotions with Fairmont. 

This mental vacation from today's blast of winter, was exactly what I needed. 

Bermuda sure seems like my kind of place! 

If it's also your kind of place, you have until the end of February to take advantage of the 15% off sale with Westjet. Air Canada has matched the savings and offers even more flights to Bermuda.

No comments:

Post a Comment