Monday, December 2, 2013

Disney Cruise: Part 9... The Value

I see the value of a Disney Cruise like this...

If you need to re-connect with your family, sometimes you just need to get a little Goofy! (Yes, as in Mickey's buddy.) The staff and characters treat everyone as very valued guests. If Mom wants to hold Donald Duck's hand for a picture... that's cool.

On a ship, you can give yourself permission to giggle, and just be a kid again. And, unlike at the Disney Parks your family is stuck with you! The kids can't wander off to the next amusement ride. Mom can't get lost in the shops and Dad can't be glued to work and his cell phone (very limited access at sea).

You will have mandatory sit down meals at scheduled times. In the Parks you may never eat together with a 100 different choices and prices and options. But on a ship, you are assigned a table, and a time and that is EVERY night. And believe me, you begin to have conversations with your kids again.

Movies under the stars on deck 9.
By the third or fourth day on the ship, you've mastered the deck plans and found your own favourite spots. CJ and I liked to check out the 10pm movie on the outdoor screen before grabbing pizza and heading to our stateroom for the night. We called it our "midnight pizza run."  We never did stay for an entire movie, but even a few minutes under the stars, in the breeze had a real calming, night-time effect.

CJ wanted to buy me a gift to say thank you for the trip. Kids aren't allowed to charge to their rooms, but I chatted with a clerk at the gift shop and she helped him accomplish his goal while keeping it a secret from me. It was a Donald Duck charm for my charm bracelet, and I LOVE it!

While there aren't any amusement rides or parades on the ship, the access to characters is far superior to the Parks. You can get amusement rides at any state fair or travelling midway, but what you won't get there are the Disney characters.

On a cruise, you will get a chance to put on a tuxedo or your best dress. This really is a special event, and worth doing as a family. You might only otherwise get the chance at graduation and weddings. And since everyone is lining up for portraits, your kids jump at the chance. I really value that.

So, ultimately, do I like cruises? Probably not. (I simply prefer my feet on land.)  But do I LOVE Disney Cruises for the family time and special memories? YES, absolutely, positively!

Would I recommend a Disney Cruise for your family?  I think I just did! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment