Friday, November 1, 2013

5 Things you must take when travelling with kids


I've been halfway around the world and back, a few times with my boys. Whether I'm planning a road trip or jetting to Hawaii, I would never leave home without these 5 things for my kids.


1. The Gadget  It used to be a dvd player for the car, and now it's more likely an iPad on your list but you need to have something kid friendly that can distract them for hours. You never know when you'll spend the whole day in an airport. Of course, bring all your cords and adapters.

2. The Pacifier This is a personal item that brings your child comfort and makes them feel "at home." It might be a favourite stuffed animal, or a blanket, or even a cozy sweatshirt. In times of chaos or tantrums, I turn to the 'pacifier' to try to calm the child and get them re-centered.

3. The Bribe If you're having one of those moments where immediate compliance is necessary (airport security line or the like) you might need the 'bribe'.  Honey, if you calm down and just let us finish this activity I have a $15 iTunes card for you. When we get back to the hotel (free wifi zone) I will help you choose some new games or a movie. The bribe can be anything... letting them pick the next restaurant, a new book or anything. Only you will know what will work for your child.

4. Snacks Everyone gets a little growly when they are hungry. And picky eaters in foreign countries can present a challenge. That's why I always travel with a few granola bars and 100% fruit bars. They barely take up any room in your purse and the reserve supplies fit compactly in your suitcase.  We had one long flight with turbulence and the airline was unable to provide drinks or snacks. For my son, that was a bit of an emergency. Luckily, I had my supply right at my seat. It saved the day for us. The granola bar stash has also been an asset in theme parks, hotels, cars and airports. So valuable!

5. Emergency Supplies  Children's Tylenol, Gravol, and any inhalers or medication they might need should be in your possession. My emergency kit also includes bandaids, wet wipes, an empty plastic bag and hand sanitizer. There are also 100 reasons your child might need a change of clothes, so that's in the kit too.

Travelling with kids requires a little more planning, patience and suitcase space, but the lessons you learn on the road are more than worth it. The times I have spent travelling with my kids are some of my most treasured memories.





No comments:

Post a Comment