Thursday, June 20, 2013

Using Hotwire or Expedia Unpublished

I've only used the Hotwire.com "blind" hotel pick a few times, but I've always been pleased with the results.

There are literally hundreds of different sites and ways to book your hotel room. And each way leads to the exact same room. There are not magic CAA rooms, Hotwire, Expedia, gold club, or unicorn rooms. Each and every room can be used, paid and stayed in the same manner. Prices will vary widely, and each booking site takes a commission.

Hotel nights, like event tickets are consumable and worthless if not used.

A hotel could have 200 rooms sit empty at $200 a night. Or they could sell off some of those at a discount (say, $125 a night). $0 times 200 is $0.   Or, 20 rooms at $125 is $2500. Obviously it's better to make $2500 than zero.

The "hotwire" method is to choose a location, price and amenities first and then gamble on which hotel you will receive. You must pay (by credit card) your entire stay BEFORE they reveal to you which hotel you are staying at.  But once the money transfer is complete, you know instantly.

Expedia.ca is offering this same savings and service. They call them "unpublished" hotel rates. I have booked with Expedia as well and so far (I have a stay next month) never been disappointed.

The Expedia hotel I just booked is listed on most travel sites, including the hotel's own site between $132 & $145 per night. When I bought it "blind" I paid $80 per night. I saved over $200 on a 4 night stay. This is good because I plan to use that $200 on event tickets. This is a 3 star hotel which offers free breakfast, free internet, pools, games room, shuttles and more. By knowing the amenities it offered and its verified class (3 star) I knew it would meet our needs regardless of the name.

If you are brand loyal, or have platinum status with a particular hotel chain, this is likely not the service for you. However, if your travels are a little more flexible and you are more interested in events/activities than your pillow brand, you might love this service, like I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment